- Why Lindemann?
We were having a leakage issue in our basement that was due to moisture in our chimney. The frigid Chicago weather has caused quite a havoc this winter. Lindemann was able to diagnose the problem and ... - Steve M. (Chicago, IL)
My experience with Lindemann was excellent. They came out and did what no one else could. Mine was a smoke issue. After having a fire the entire house would smell of smoke. I could have hung pork bell... - Frank F. (Mount Prospect, IL)
These guys are great! We had our chimney inspected/cleaned by Jim who was extremely knowledgeable and super nice! Definitely recommend these guys! And free wood with the chimney cleaning! Super! ... - Steve S. (Chicago, IL)
Most experts would agree that a quality cap can be one of the best additions to your home’s chimney. While they may seem simplistic, chimney caps serve a number of important purposes from reducing the moisture inside the flue to preventing debris build-up and keeping little critters out. They are one of the best solutions to many of the most common chimney ailments.
If your flue is lacking a chimney cap or your current one needs replacement, here are some tips for finding the right one for your home:
• A square or rectangular flue should be topped using either a single flue chimney cap (attaches directly to the flue) or a top mount chimney cap (attaches to the chimney crown).
• For those that want to cover their entire chimney crown, a top mount chimney cap is often the best option. It attaches directly to the chimney crown with flanges.
• For homes with two or more square or rectangular flues on the same chimney, you can attach a cap to fit each individual flue. Some opt instead to use a larger top mount chimney cap that can fit over both.
• Flues with two or three concentric pipes inside should be matched with a chimney cap made specifically for air cooled flues. This type of cap keeps the air circulating easily to prevent overheating within the system.
• Homeowners that experience smoky backdrafts could benefit from a special type of cap. Vacu-Stack offers solutions for those backdraft problems while Enervex provides one of the best chimney fans for fires which are smoky even on calm days.
• You want to know you are protected should your cap fail. Always consider the type of warranty each cap comes with. Many caps made of stainless steel or copper come with a lifetime warranty.
Every homeowner should be able to safely and comfortably use their wood fireplace. A chimney cap can be a big factor in whether or not you can enjoy worry-free fires inside the home. While there may be many options when it comes to topping your flue, there is only one team you can trust to do the job right. That team is Lindemann Chimney Service. For those in the Chicago area, we offer quality chimney and fireplace services including chimney cap installation and repair. Contact us today to schedule your in-person visit.