- Why Lindemann?
- Chicagoland Area
- Milwaukee / SE Wisconsin Area
We were having a leakage issue in our basement that was due to moisture in our chimney. The frigid Chicago weather has caused quite a havoc this winter. Lindemann was able to diagnose the problem and ... - Steve M. (Chicago, IL)
My experience with Lindemann was excellent. They came out and did what no one else could. Mine was a smoke issue. After having a fire the entire house would smell of smoke. I could have hung pork bell... - Frank F. (Mount Prospect, IL)
These guys are great! We had our chimney inspected/cleaned by Jim who was extremely knowledgeable and super nice! Definitely recommend these guys! And free wood with the chimney cleaning! Super! ... - Steve S. (Chicago, IL)
Today’s homes are more energy-efficient than ever before. They are not only tightly-sealed but also well-insulated, helping keep warm air in during the winter and cool air throughout the summer. While this helps our families stay comfortable, it can also keep other not-so-welcomed guests inside the home including deadly carbon monoxide. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, between 1999 and 2010 there were 5,149 unintentional carbon monoxide poisonings in the United States. That equates to nearly 430 deaths per year. There are many factors within the home that can lead to higher levels of CO including the chimney system. Read on to learn more about the critical role chimneys play in a home’s air quality.
The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
Carbon monoxide is often referred to as the silent killer and for good reason. This poisonous gas is both colorless, odorless and tasteless. Mild exposure to the gas can lead to flu-like symptoms including headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and vomiting. When the levels of carbon monoxide reach dangerous levels within the bloodstream it can lead to deadly results. It is also important to note that symptoms can vary from person to person and are often similar to other common ailments making carbon monoxide poisoning difficult to diagnose.
The Important Role Your Chimney Plays in Protecting Air Quality
The role of a fireplace’s chimney is to remove the combustible byproducts of the fire out of the home. However when the system is clogged or has extensive damage, it is unable to push these harmful gases, including carbon monoxide, away from the living space. This can cause a backdraft of these gases back into the home even leading to carbon monoxide poisoning. While some chimney ailments are easily detectable others require a more extensive inspection by an experienced professional. Loose or missing fireplace panels, crumbling masonry and rust or water streaks inside the flue can all be warning signs that the chimney is allowing carbon monoxide to seep into the home.
Carbon Monoxide Prevention & Detection
The best way to protect your loved ones from the harmful effects of chimney-related carbon monoxide poisoning is by scheduling an annual inspection and cleaning of the chimney system. Hiring a certified professional sweep such as Lindemann Chimney Supply can ensure that your system is running efficiently and effectively. They can also detect and diagnose any structural problems within the flue correcting the problem before it turns into a costly repair. Homeowners should also install carbon monoxide detectors into their living space. They are one of the best tools for early detection. Detectors should be located on each level of the home and near sleeping areas.
To better prevent carbon monoxide poisoning inside your home, contact Lindemann Chimney Service today to schedule your chimney inspection. Not only do we offer professional chimney cleanings and inspections but can also diagnosis and repair any problems plaguing your chimney. Schedule your appointment online today!