- Why Lindemann?
- Chicagoland Area
- Milwaukee / SE Wisconsin Area
We were having a leakage issue in our basement that was due to moisture in our chimney. The frigid Chicago weather has caused quite a havoc this winter. Lindemann was able to diagnose the problem and ... - Steve M. (Chicago, IL)
My experience with Lindemann was excellent. They came out and did what no one else could. Mine was a smoke issue. After having a fire the entire house would smell of smoke. I could have hung pork bell... - Frank F. (Mount Prospect, IL)
These guys are great! We had our chimney inspected/cleaned by Jim who was extremely knowledgeable and super nice! Definitely recommend these guys! And free wood with the chimney cleaning! Super! ... - Steve S. (Chicago, IL)
At Lindemann Chimney Service in Northern Chicago and Southern Wisconsin we like to make you aware of news and information that we feel can be beneficial to you.
There have been several issues in the news regarding house fires as a result of ashes/embers that have been improperly disposed of. Ashes can contain embers that are hot enough to ignite combustibles DAYS after having a fire. Here are some of the problems related to hot ash disposal.
The biggest story in recent news is the loss of grandparents and three grandchildren on Christmas in Stamford, CT as a result of smoldering ashes/embers that were cleaned out of the fireplace and taken to the back part of the house a couple of hours before the fire started.
Another recent fire was a result of a man putting ashes/embers around a telephone pole to fill in an open area. The hot ashes/embers ignited a plastic covering that protected the ground wires and almost ignited the home.
In another recent situation a man cleaned out his fireplace, put the hot ashes/embers in a bag, then in a cardboard box and set it on his balcony. A fire broke out in his apartment building displacing about six families.
Smoldering embers have burned through plastic buckets igniting numerous house fires. Also, carrying an open container through the home has also caused hot embers/sparks to leap out of the bucket and ignite inside the home.
Garbage cans, garbage trucks, garages, homes and grass fires are just some of the situations in which hot embers have ignited and caused massive damage. Here are some tips for dealing with hot ashes/embers:
By using good common sense many of the above fires could have been avoided. Enjoy your fireplace or woodstove but always dispose of the ashes wisely.