We were having a leakage issue in our basement that was due to moisture in our chimney. The frigid Chicago weather has caused quite a havoc this winter. Lindemann was able to diagnose the problem and ... - Steve M. (Chicago, IL)
My experience with Lindemann was excellent. They came out and did what no one else could. Mine was a smoke issue. After having a fire the entire house would smell of smoke. I could have hung pork bell... - Frank F. (Mount Prospect, IL)
These guys are great! We had our chimney inspected/cleaned by Jim who was extremely knowledgeable and super nice! Definitely recommend these guys! And free wood with the chimney cleaning! Super! ... - Steve S. (Chicago, IL)
Carbon monoxide is a word we hear in the news when there’s been an illness or tragedy in our community or of a celebrity. At Lindemann Chimney Service on the northern shore of Chicago and Southern Wisconsin, we are hoping that through this series of blogs you will come to a better understanding of how to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning. As mentioned in the first blog in this series, even someone with my knowledge can end up with it.
What is carbon monoxide? It’s a colorless, odorless gas. Its chemical name is CO (which we will use for abbreviation purposes in this article).
Where does CO come from? CO is a by-product of combustion. This means it is present in fumes from vehicle exhausts, gasoline engines, oil or gas appliances and flues, woodburning appliances/flues, gas ranges, gas dryers, charcoal grills, chimneys venting flue gasses and anywhere combustion fumes are present. In a perfect world the fumes of CO would be vented to the outside where it disperses into the atmosphere. At the wrong end of the spectrum is when CO builds up and is not vented to the exterior such as a clogged or damaged chimney or vent or problems with a missing or damaged muffler. And I’m sure you’ve also heard the warnings about not using a gas cook stove to heat the house or using barbeque grills in an enclosed space. Make sense now? If not, read on.
How does CO affect humans and animals? CO displaces oxygen in the blood. The fickle thing about blood is that it “picks up” CO much quicker than oxygen. Over time, this displacement of oxygen starts to affect the tissues and organs which must be continually fed oxygen to survive. But more about that in the next blog.
I’ll also discuss some varying levels of CO and how they can affect humans and animals. Stay tuned!
PS. Here’s a good link to read up about CO poisoning.